Friday, July 31, 2026

July: Little Getaways and Unexpected Detours

Halfway through summer already! It happened so fast. I was thankful this July for a short beach getaway with our family, as well as a little belated anniversary trip with Beach. We managed to squeeze in some sweet summer memories along the way.
Our Fourth of July definitely did not turn out as planned. Actually, our plans seemed to evolve quite a bit throughout the day! I went for a walk that morning and, while walking through the grass, stepped into a completely hidden hole and went down. It was incredibly painful, as I knew it was sprained, and I just had to sit there for a few minutes as disappointment started to wash over me.
Along with the pain came the realization that our plans for the day were probably over, as well as my hopes that Beach and I could take a little hiking getaway we had planned for a couple of weeks later. To make matters worse, I was out on a trail and still had to walk myself home, which I knew wasn't exactly going to help the situation.

So I sat there for a few minutes, prayed, tried not to cry, and eventually got myself back up.
I did make it home, and we canceled our original plans for the day. Instead, we invited my parents over for dinner and games, which actually turned into a really fun evening. It also meant I could keep my ankle elevated and iced instead of hobbling around somewhere all day. Definitely not the Fourth of July we had planned, but still a sweet time together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Watermelon-eating boys on the back porch. A pretty perfect summer sight!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The kids were also able to get some special time with Josiah while he was in town staying with my parents. They spent some time fishing together and were even successful!
So thankful they were able to squeeze in these memories together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lauren and her family came over one evening to our house for one more last goodbye. It will most likely be a few years before we see each other again.
Attacking hugs are Josiah's favorite!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The week before school started we had so many doctor's appointments....including eye exams.
And another earlier doctor appointment with an impromptu breakfast date with Shiloh afterwards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
School started back soooo early this year, and Shiloh was representing for Meet the Teacher night.
Along with some of her friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And, of course, the monthly roundup of random selfies I discovered on my phone!
July didn't necessarily go exactly as planned, but apparently that was part of the theme! There were changed plans, little getaways, family time, and plenty of ordinary summer moments mixed in. Summer is already winding down, and I'm thankful for the memories we managed to make along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment