Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Mindset

We have been working on the concept of MINDSET hard core around here (by "we" I mean me and, thus, constantly talking to everyone else about it when I see it is an issue).  It seems we all have major struggles with this in our own areas.  It is amazing how crippling it can be, heartbreaking truly, the long reaching consequences.
Because I have been working so hard on it myself, it is pretty obvious when it comes up for the littles!  This is most evident with school work, which I'm guessing is pretty common.  However, it can be even such a small task, such as thinking for a moment about school work while standing up (so that your momma can help you while in the middle of making dinner), that can set one up for a huge tail spin (for real that was an hour cry session for the 8-year-old). It can go from all of a sudden something that has been common place to crippling and crying, "I can't do it, I just can't!" wails.  Perfect opportunity to practice, "Whether you think you can or can't, you are right!" (I found it humorous that one child would "prove to me that she couldn't think and stand at the same time!")
Even with little man, he was so discouraged with going to a pre-school art class with me (thus, wouldn't smile), and feeling like he couldn't do the activity, even before really hearing what it was (we are talking pretty basic no right or wrong painting with no pressure).  While art is not a strong interest for him, he was enjoying our outing until this all of a sudden shift in personality occurred out of seemingly nowhere.  We had a quick pep talk during a bathroom break and I assured him I would help him.  However, he was able to attempt the piece on his own.  I could careless what his picture looked like, but what I was proud of was the fact that he conquered his mindset (and then he really liked his picture of the fall trees and was proud of it himself).
I know that this is such an important key lesson.  I see now, as an adult, how impressionable this is for a child, or lack there of.  For both Beach and I have been affected in how we see and feel we can do things now.  Learning about the science behind it all has been fascinating!  I'm working on creating new synapses in my mind myself, especially around my health.  Now, faith fits into it all in a HUGE way!  Because it is the Lord that enables me to do "the things" and that he has created my body to heal.  So it is, by no means, just a think it into being thing but an exercise in faith, as well, that God can complete his dream for me in my life.  While it can be a big challenge on days I'm really not feeling well...I'm just constantly thinking and praying about what that looks like each day and then attempting to believe it can happen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment