Saturday, September 9, 2017

Skating Lessons

I can't tell you how long it has been since I have been ice skating....but I know it is over 15 years!  However, when I saw a Groupon for a great deal, I snagged it up.  Beach and I have been trying to take the kids out on individual dates.  Honestly this doesn't happen unless we are very intentional and make a plan.  Time seems to go so quickly that it can easily slip by.
I'm not interested in going out for sugary treats for our dates, so that does not leave a ton of options.  (I admit that in my head I do equate special date time with something that my palate would enjoy but I don't want my kids to have just that association.)  For Shiloh's date I thought it would be fun for us to try ice skating together, so we ditched nap time one Sunday for bonding together.
It wasn't until we actual got right up to the ice that I thought, "Hummm, this might go very badly.  It takes a lot of core strength, which is not her strength, for balance and just might not work at all."
She let me leave her side for a quick picture but then began to somewhat panic without me there.
However, it wasn't long until she was ready to let the wall go and head out to the middle. I so loved just getting to hold her hand and connect to her in this way.  As time went on I could sense the amount of support that she needed from my hand change, from practically holding her up to sensing her confidence and letting my hand go.  I suppose that is pretty much how a healthy life should go with a parent.
Every so often we would take a break, which lasted a few seconds before she wanted to go again, and watch the other skaters.
I managed to take some selfies.
After watching some amazing younger kids doing some tricks she decided that she would skate out on her own for a bit.
It would often lead to a fall, where she was ready for me to help her back up.  We would hold hands for awhile and she would repeat this again.
I was just so proud of her and her trying spirit.
I love just watching this little, so fierce and beautiful, so different from me and yet she is part of the tribe from me.
She will do amazing things one day!  I just hope I get to watch.  I love you my little Shishi!

No comments:

Post a Comment