Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Election Days for the Girls

Both the girls got into running for student council this year.  This was a whole new paradigm to open up for us. Zoe was up first and made many posters and then fliers to put out at the school.  She created a video that was to be shown to the whole school.  I didn't even know that she had produced such on her chromebook until after she turned it in. She has confidence in ways I never had.  Zoe decided to run for VP, as opposed to president, because she thought there were 10 others running in the president category, and didn't feel that was the best strategy.
Zoe asked Beach and myself if we had run for VP when we were in middle school.  I found this funny, as it was the last thing on my mind, at the time, to shy to barely even talk. I am so proud of her for trying and her determination.

Zoe was excited to hand out stickers the day of the official vote! Even though the school had to have a recount because of technical errors, she still won!
I believe Shiloh was inspired by her sister's attempting to run, and since they were starting back with student cousin at her school, she decided to give it a go as well.  After being nominated for her class, she went on to further run for  VP of the school.  She wrote her own speech, which contained over 10 ideas that she had to improve the school and they filmed it there one morning.  She practiced for us, creating her own little podium. I noted that I was amazed at how many ideas she had, and Shiloh's explained that she had 100 ideas and didn't find it a big deal at all.  She ended up winning as well! (This, also, meant that the large box that was in her room that she made for "donations", could move on to school to be used for collecting items.)  When we finally heard the news for both of them we went to the cafe after school to celebrate with a S'more drink they had been eyeing.
While I don't know how much freedom they have just in the way the counsels are structured, they truly do want to serve!
I was beyond thrilled that Shiloh's school allowed us in for an inauguration celebration.  She got a little speaking part that she took very seriously.
She was a bit nervous, as they had a candle lighting symbolism at the end, and she didn't want to set the school on fire.  Don't worry no one was harmed at the event.
The whole counsel....
and with the principal.
I loved that they sang their school song at the end!  It's been years since I have heard it and, honestly with the way things have been going, I don't know if I will be able to hear it again!
There were refreshments afterwards, which she enjoyed!  So proud of our girl!
She was allowed four guest, so we invited a grandparent from each side. Beloved girl with both of her grandmas.
I do wish Zoe's school did something similar to honor them, and feel that these kids could have even more responsibilities (I believe kids can do big things). The thing I am most proud of them, though, win or lose, is that they are willing to put themselves out there, to try hard things!  Way to go girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment