Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I want to getaway....far away from here

I sometimes feel like I'm going through the motions of just getting through the day (especially when I read blogs and see pictures of others that seem to be truly living).  So many mundane things to do, again: washing dishes, laundry, diapers, feeding, nursing, pumping, more cleaning, that it can feel so meaningless and pointless.  I KNOW that it is not and it is the biggest investment that one can make, raising children through nurturing souls, BUT sometimes it can FEEL so wearing on my soul.
I think when I'm in such a place my marriage takes a hit too.  With times being so stressful getting the business going, it can be hard to not think of Beach as my partner in getting all the checklist checked and done (which he is the best partner I could ask for!).  This task orientated girl can get skewed at what really matters, though.  Thankfully my relationship oriented man helps me bring it back, when I let him (which I need to do more of).   
So, we had a getaway.  Away from all the distractions of life, family, business, work, cleaning, etc. to focus on our marriage and enjoying "us" among the beauty of the world around.  How freeing to have a whole conversation without a little one crying or winning (and me getting frustrated at such), to just enjoy whatever the day put before us and our hearts roamed.  Off to Asheville we went.
I tired not to over plan, for Beach's sake, and just go with it (much not like myself).  Stopping at the roadside farmer's market. Yummy, local honey!
Then to a local brewery for a beer tour.
This gal had no idea such even existed!  
With my new interests in REAL food and knowing Asheville was a city to have similar taste....I was looking forward to feeding my belly with goodness.
We were drawn into a little place in Black Mountain by the alluring musician playing.  You know the type that in between songs talks to the people around, asking us genuinely how we are doing and what we were up to.
It had a pretty good view too.
On the way out Beach mentioned it smelled like goodness.  To which he was handed a huge brownie right out of the oven for us to share as we walked out...how sweet (and added to the small town appeal)!
We came across this slide...crazy right?
So while I was pumping (sign again) Beach tired it out.  Review: It looks cooler than it is.  He just got off at one point when he was no longer moving. 
That night they had free Shakespeare play in the park in this amazing set up.  I thought that it would be fun to try something different. But I knew nothing of Henry II....and after a few minutes of the play felt really silly (to put it mildly) that I could not understand anything that they were saying. However, if I focused really hard, I could capture what was going on...we ended up splitting at intermission...but enjoyed the idea of it. 
They had a fun festival going on the next day in Downtown....full of fun crafters...dancers...and interesting people to watch!
I love the human mind and what can come out of it. 
Beach is always so willing to take pictures when I ask him too  :-)  I have a pretty hot model...even as a pink monster. 
We also stopped in many fun shops.
And it just makes me want to create more myself....next on the list...making soap.
With some great recommendations, we escaped out of the rain to a chocolate heaven.
I had to stand at the counter and drool for several minutes before making up my mind.
Beach had gone upstairs to save us seats, and when I ordered I got carded....really?  I had no idea that Beach's order (complete with chocolate, beer and espresso....yes it was amazing) had alcohol in it, or that this 33 year-old-face could be thought of as not 21 yet!  What?  So I had to leave the long line, run upstairs to my hubby's rescue as I didn't have my license on me. 
Beach thought it was glorious. 
Can I say I love Cuban food....and restaurants.com for and amazing deal. 
The next day on the way home we stopped by Hendersonville for their apple festival.  It was a bit rained out but still interesting. 
I REALLY wanted to go hiking, but the weather was very threatening and we weren't sure were to even go....so we found a place after veering off the interstate at one point, took a chance...and it was beautiful.  
How I love seeing our creator at work with so much variety!  
And then we came across this on our walk...a goat farm...I can still smell it now.
We did finally make it to the top of the mountain...although I thought Beach was going a bit crazy, as we had no idea how long it was going to be or if was going to pour on us at any moment.  
Oh, how I wish we cold do more of it...and I can't wait for the girls to experience such too!
Beach carried this stick for several miles...has a plan for it he told me.  I love that he is so artistic and I know will come up with something amazing.
Then on the way home, we saw this......with the end on the interstate leading to our house....where the best treasure of all awaited...the blessing of our girls!  A great adventure, but a great reason to return, too (even to all those tasks that come with it)!





No comments:

Post a Comment