Friday, August 8, 2014

Part II of being Crunchy: Placenta

In part one I shared about I am becoming more crunchy and some ways I got there.  Here is another way.  My placenta.
So how often do you hear things about your placenta....well depending on the circles you run in I'm guessing not much - especially if your talking about consuming your own.  Yep you read that right.  I first heard of such of thing when I saw a friend post a picture of hers after her home birth and talked about how she was going to have it dried and encapsulated.  WHAT!  Why in the world would you do such a disgusting thing (and also take a picture of it and tell other people)!  Well for the reason that I am sharing about this now.  It's amazing and not so mainstream (in this country)....that people SHOULD know about it and the option and benefits that it provides!
I have, also, read a blog where a women cooked some of her placenta with some meat and invited a friend to have tacos. Yes, too far, way too far for me.  No, I prefer to ingest it through a capsule that I don't have to think much about what I'm swallowing and where it came from (and not taste it).  
The web site BellyBelly has a great article (with a ton of details) which includes:

What Are The Benefits Of Placenta Encapsulation?

It is believed that consuming the placenta can:
  • Help to balance your hormones
  • Replenish depleted iron levels
  • Assist the uterus to return to its pre-pregnancy state
  • Reduce post-natal bleeding
  • Increase milk production – this has been proven in a study
  • Make for a happier, more enjoyable post-natal period
  • Increase your energy levels
Baby blues can effect up to 80% of women within the first week of birth. Women who consume their placenta report fewer emotional issues and a more enjoyable babymoon. Who wouldn't want that?!
So anything that can help balance out my hormones, I'm in!  After struggling with postpartum depression big time with my first, and some with my second....I knew this was a giant I would want to come against with as many weapons as I could.  I had my doula encapsulate my placenta and received them from her just a couple days after Ezra's birth.
I haven't had such a struggle with my hormones this time around (partly because Ezra is such an easy baby and partly because I have been consistent with using my essential oils) BUT I have had some placenta pill kind of days.  AND I'm beginning to have some issue with milk supply when I'm at work....so I may be taking them more regularly. Also, postpartum depression can still set on later and I'm prepared.  AND since I can keep them in the freezer....they will last forever and can even be used during menopause for help with that big hormone change!  Yes, so I'm a believer and ever thankful to my friend for capturing a picture of hers to intrigue me to investigate more!

No comments:

Post a Comment