Saturday, August 18, 2018

20!

20 years since Beach and I graduated from High School.  We went to rivalry schools but met at our church youth group.  Beach casually mentioned wanting to go to his reunion for Dutch Fork High School a couple of months ago.  "Really?  Are any of your friends going?"  I didn't say anything further, hoping by my ignoring the subject it would just go away (because that's how things work, right?).  However, the next I heard of it was that he had bought the tickets and we were going.

Sigh.  I tried to hide my insecurities and focus on how this was important to Beach.  My own school's reunion ended up being on the same night close by!  Did I want to go?  They were actually joining in an after party together. That's a negative ghost rider. See I was not a fan of High School.  I barely recovered after some crushing rejection of my close friends my freshman year, fighting years of depression and then just mainly a connection with a boyfriend across town, there was not much to bring me back.
Beach, on the other hand, had some solid friends and just an all around jolly old time with his carefree self and schedule mostly filled with art classes.  See case in point, picture below.
On the way to the venue that night I asked him if he was nervous.  "No," Beach explained, "I'm excited to see some old friends and make new ones if I don't know them." Oh, well that is a great attitude and completely the opposite of the insecurities I was trying to repress of flashbacks to my 15-year-old self.  I was glad my shirt somewhat hide my mommy belly and my platform shoes made me feel like a grown up, make up on and smile would be there to represent...

They actually ended up with a pretty good turn out!  Lots of smiles and hugs all around.  Beach's extroverted side exploded and he was so giddy and genuinely joyful in seeing his classmates. So much so it was hard for him in that he didn't get to talk to everyone (despite us being the last ones to leave and almost the first there).

The only picture Beach managed to ask to take.  
So I just included one that I was in...Surprisingly I knew several people there.  More surprising to me was I had a really good time, too.  I got to "see some old friends and make some new ones" myself and got out of my head. It wasn't a big deal to talk to the "prom queen" (which I didn't know it at the time but totally can see it now) for 15 minutes as if we had been life long friends, or the man who worked on race cars for a living or the one that owned a CrossFit gym. I was just able to listen to other's stories, being present and appreciating each one for who they are, one of my favorite things after all! 
Beach would have wanted to join the after party, as we were having such a good time, but four hours was plenty to get our fill.  Since we didn't actually take a couple picture there, we just snapped a cheesy one when we got home.
I went to bed that night happy, relieved and content from the evening. Honestly,  it was mostly because of how others made a point to tell me how much Beach meant to them or they were proud of him.  His heart is so genuine and caring for others and that is the best!  Only aged for the better my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment